Four-Leaf K'lover

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Inappropriate Tactics

On Sat. Chris, I and the children were driving towards Platt Rd. on Washtenaw Ave. when we saw this sign that read something like this: Warning..disturbing partial abortion pics ahead. For about 1/4 mile there were about 10 pics of a baby who was victim of partial abortion. This was really disturbing for Chris and I, but the most disturbing occurance was when Brynn asked why they were holding pics. of a baby. Fortunately, she did not catch the grusome details that were displayed. I understand the point being made, however that was not the place...where small children were subjected to these pictures. Talking to Laura about this, she made the point that after the loss of their first baby, these pics reopen those wounds....the babies looked very similar...and this was not her choice. The tactics used were very inappropriate and hurtful. I'm sure that some of you may have experienced the diplay of pics., already and I hope that those who have not, don't have to.

5 Comments:

  • yeah, I get offended by those pictures as well. They display them by the hospital where i work quite frequently. They also say that since they have a disclaimer, they are allowed to present them, because you don't have to drive by and look at them. Bullplop. those tactics will only further gel people in their views. You catch more flies w/ honey than vinegar, etc.

    By Blogger Swinging Sammy, at 10:22 AM  

  • :(

    By Blogger Russell, at 10:22 AM  

  • You know there is such a fine line between actively working for a cause and doing damage to that same cause by the way that you go about doing it. I am whole heartedly 100% against abortion. I don't hide that fact at all. But to put those pictures out there publically (in my opinion) does not help to further the cause of Christ! Jesus is the answer to the abortion problem in this country, not picture of partially aborted babies! I think a little common sense has to be applied here. Do we post signs of other murder victims in order to deter pre-meditated homocide? Of course not, it wouldn't do any good. So, how do you justify this action? It is beyond my ability to understand. Let me get down off of this soap box now and let the next person preach a little. B4T

    By Blogger Doug E. Pudge, at 11:54 AM  

  • I was thinking more on this topic and it came to me that the movie The Passion could be viewed as the same. I think that movie kept us from being forgetting what really happened for our sake. Putting it in our face reminded us that it wasn't just some fairytale ending. Jesus actually took every single lashing. While very disturbing to watch, I think it was a great reminder.

    Not saying these are the same things, but this just crossed my mind. The same goes for pictures of the men and women that died in war. Reminders that there are actual people dying isn't a bad thing.

    Do you ever notice how quickly we change the channel when we see those starving African kids on TV? Why? Because we don't want to think these things are real.

    I'm not sure when or where it is ever acceptable, but one thing I know for sure, those images should never be shown in a place that kids can be subject to them. That doesn't serve any purpose whatsoever.

    By Blogger Russell, at 8:02 PM  

  • I understand and agree with you for the most part, Russ. With Passion it was our choice to see. As Christians, it is a great "kick in the bum" rememberance for the sacrifice that was made for us. I am 100% against abortion, but the tactics that were used sure wouldn't get my support for the cause. Like DEP said...groups like those should use some common sense, especially if you want spiritual support.

    By Blogger Four-Leaf K' lover, at 8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home